Sunday, March 2, 2014

From Alabama to Mississppi

We don't have internet yet, so I am having to make this post from my phone. I wanted to get everything up to date though, so please bear with me. Because there is so much I want to write, I'm going to have to break our journey into a few installments.

Thursday morning we arrived at the budget truck rental place about 45 minutes before they opened. I was such a nervous wreck I thought I was going to throw up in their parking lot. After we got the truck and put the car on the dolly I felt much better and we headed to my dad's to load up stuff we had been storing their for two years. It actually didn't take as long as I thought it would and we were done in time for lunch with Grandma one more time. 

We then loaded everything that had been packed in Dadeville. Buddy's mom cried before it was even dinner time, but we made it through dinner with out any more tears. 

We went to bed at 7 so that we would get plenty of sleep before out alarms went off at 2 am. However we were both awake at midnight. We decided that if one or both of us was not asleep by 1 then we would get up and start getting ready to go. Needless to say, we got a very early start. 

At the beginning of the week I decided to out some if my skills I gained with my degree to use.  So I set out the at carrier and prebaited it with catnip. This was to help the cats acclimate to the carrier so they wouldn't be afraid of it when I had to shove them in. What do you know, it freaking worked!! I put some treats in when I wanted them to get in and they went right in with no fuss!! 

With the cats being the last to be loaded, we said our last tearful good-byes and hit the road for our big adventure. 

We decided to take 280 to Birmingham to get to I-20 to stay ahead of schedule and not hit curvy deer infested roads. There wasn't much to do but sing along with the radio since it was still dark and nothing really to see. 

Things didn't start getting really fun until we were almost to Mississippi. Before we made it we came upon an eighteen wheeler that had dropped his cargo that was on fire! That was crazy scary. We stopped for gas before the state line and I got in the car with the cats to let them walk around, use the make shift litter box, drink, and let me clean the carrier. No surprise, Serenity threw up everywhere. Poor things had puke on their feet and tails and Serentiy still had it on her face. It was pitiful at the time. and funny now because Georgie kept trying to help Serenity clean herself up, but Serenity would just pace and cry. 

We got to Mississippi before the sun came up, but the hubs was able to snap this picture.

Just got in the state and already breaking rules! This was as far as we went though at the rest area. It was cold, windy, and we were ready to be on our way. Not to mention there was a cattle truck parked in the same parking lot and the smell was god-awful, so we loaded back in and headed towards Louisiana. More to come on our journey to east Texas later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment