Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spring break and spring changes

graduate student hair?
This week has been spring break for SFA, but not for me. I've been getting even more organized (how is that possible) and ready for Dr. Comer's bi-weekly lab meeting. I've got a running list of possible birds that could be sighted in the area, as much as I can possibly get done with the trial version of ArcMap, updated and improved my field schedule, and got a few more reference scientific papers that I've at least browsed. Oh! and most importantly I've found an awesome tech for field season (hi Brittany!!) who is willing to spend about 10 weeks with me in middle-of-nowhere Louisiana. I am super lucky to be able to work with someone I not only know I can work with, but I know she will be able to do the job and I know I can live with for a long period of time with out suffocating. I just need to hear back about where we go from here as far as paperwork and start time for being in the field so she can get all of her ducks in a row in time as well.
I've also changed the blog's background and colors to something a little more spring like since it's getting really nice outside.



Luna and her friend Apollo at the dog park
Other than working here and there on these things, this last week has been rather routine. Buddy's still looking for work, but we wake up around 8am, eat breakfast, I drink my coffee, watch the news, then do some work. Just about every day this week around 3 (the time my brain says "ENOUGH!") I would take Luna to the dog park to run around, make friends, and burn off some energy. Afterwards when we would get home she would pass out and pretty much not move the rest of the night. I must say, I love the dog park. I like the anonymity I have here, but I'm actually enjoying meeting new people. Everyone has a story to tell about Nacogdoches and advice to give about where to go and where not to go. Luna enjoys meeting new friends (human and canine alike) more than chasing the ball. In fact, when we get to the park she looses all interest in toys.
Luna loves giving kisses to her daddy




The wine that broke my corkscrew
Today we went to the local farmers market. I got a bottle of homemade Texas blackberry wine, which coincidentally just broke my corkscrew. The cork is way too big for the bottle. Oh well, just means I have to drink it faster. Buddy got to try out several different types of cheeses and we got a small green chili goat cheese. It was really nice, but I wish I brought more money had more money. There were some delicious smelling soaps, some awesome organic itch/burn relief that doubles as an insect repellent, and divine smelling home made breads. All of which I wish I could have brought home with me. Eh, a little at a time I suppose.

Georgie and Serenity "sharing" the sunny spot
And I can't forget the day I lost Georgie! Georgie has been feeling much better and has been putting some meat back on her poor little bones thanks to a week of eating canned food. Now she thinks she is entitled to canned food and not just her usual dry food. I'm weaning her by putting her dry food, a tiny bit of canned food, and some water in her dish. So far its working. However, since she is feeling better she is back up to her old shenanigans which includes trying to dash out the front door. This was ok when we lived in Dadeville because usually Luna herded her back to the bedroom door or  she would understand the danger outside of the bedroom once she saw the other two dogs in the house. One night this week she made a dash for it when I came in from walking Luna. I thought I heard a meow, but wasn't sure. So I started searching the apartment after giving Luna her treat. I shook the treat bag, called, meowed and only saw Serenity. I decided to open the door and look since I thought I heard a meow. She was right outside the door!!! I've never been so worried in my life! How could I let my cat out the door and not know?! What kind of kitty mommy am I? After loosing MeiMei when she got out by accident I couldn't take it again. So, of course I had to hold her tight and give her lots of kisses, all the things she hates. Maybe next time she'll associate going outside with horrible lovey stuff.

After all this adventure, who knows what the next week will hold :)



No comments:

Post a Comment