Monday, February 24, 2014

The last hoorah in Alabama

This past Saturday our wonderful friends threw us a going away party. It wasn't anything huge or fancy, but there was lots of alcohol involved along with a few usual shenanigans. I, of course, drank way too much thanks to our lovely host Lori, but I regret nothing - including the horrific hangover the next day. The best part was being surrounded by our nearest and dearest all night, enjoying stories, crazy drunk talk, and each others company.

I am not a public crier whatsoever, but I did end the night in tears from the out pouring of generosity, love, and well being I experienced. All though I was extremely intoxicated when I finally broke down before going to bed it was only to my husband that I told, "I do not deserve this". In all of my 31 years I have never felt like I belonged more than I do with our group of friends. Sure, I had a small tight knit group of friends in high school, but sometimes I feel that wasn't me (except for the last half of my senior year when I didn't give a damn anymore). My family is not the closest. We love each other, but there are some parts about me that I can't be honest with my family about. I can only guess everyone else feels that way. But these guys, this group (new friends and old) - they are my family, they know me for all of my positives and negatives and I'm leaving their nest. I would say I'm leaving with no net to catch me if I fall, but I know that is not true. I know if I call any one of them, no matter what time of day, they will answer and help me anyway they can.

On the way home Sunday night, I felt a wave of calm wash over me. Usually with any of my difficult adult decisions I freak out more than just a little bit. But now maybe because I got to spend one more night with those who love me and my husband most, I feel at peace with this move. It may not be an easy road, but it is the one we have chosen and we will follow it to whatever end may come.

2 comments:

  1. I love you! You are destined for wonderful things and I will miss you like mad but I know this is the right move for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooo much!!! But thank goodness for technology so I can see your face while being so far away!

      Delete