Friday, May 23, 2014

Week 4? Recap

It really doesn't seem like it's only been 4 weeks since we started doing field work, but it has. It seems like an eternity has gone by. Days run together, nights are never long enough, and the humidity and higher temperatures are rolling in. I think I may be loosing what is left of my mind. 


Last week I mentioned we were going to a local truck stop called Three Flags in Bon Wier, TX. If you are ever that way, definitely stop by! Holy cow at the food! I got a small seafood platter and couldn't finish it all. I tried, believe me, and I paid for it later. But it was soo good. 

Today is another "binge" day and I couldn't be happier! I know I'm just exhausted. We've been getting up at 5 AM doing 2-3 surveys, coming back to our motel at about 930-10ish, changing out of nasty sweaty muddy clothes, relaxing till 330-4ish, then getting back out in the heat till 730-8ish, eating dinner, showering, then going right to bed to do it all over again. 

I will not lie. It has not been all sunshine and rainbows. Even today I was nearing a melt down until I found a hole with my ankle and fell. It's hard wiping invisible spider webs from your face and watching where you step at the same time. Even right now as I type this I am sitting outside the motel room, drinking my coffee in clothes that are drenched from mainly sweat and dew. I haven't even made it inside yet. I don't have the energy and I know once I change I may not get up from the bed. At one point this week I even said "I hate being an adult trying to be a teenager". 

This has probably been the most difficult week since we are working every day in order to get done before Brittany has to go back to Georgia. I know I've been home sick, so she most definitely has to be as well. 

Sunday the sweetest puppy wandered up to us while we went to do laundry and decided we needed to be her people. 

We thought she belonged to some people who were staying in their RV, but were wrong. We tried to take her to the animal shelter in the nearest town, but the humane society in Jasper didn't take drop offs (unheard of!) and the animal shelter REFUSED to take her because she was not found in Jasper! I was so pissed! They had previous fall outs with people with missing animals in Newton before and would not take animals from there anymore. She suggested I complain to the county court, to which I explained we were not from here and would only be here another week! They just didn't get it. So we had to take her back to the motel. The next evening she was gone and I hope with all my heart someone found that sweet puppy and gave her a home. 

I also found out, the same day we were trying to find somewhere to take the puppy, that my grandmother has colon cancer. She didn't want to worry me before she had surgery and knew more since I'm so far away. So far they believe they removed all the cancer (a quarter sized tumor), but they also removed some lymph nodes for further testing. They should know more today, but I'm going to let her rest, recoup, and get home before I call again. 

They've also decided to do some prescribed burning near some of our areas. Granted, they are acres away, but it just adds haze to our areas. And it's kinda creepy when you roll into the woods to look beside you in the dark and see this:

So, week 4 has been crazy as you can tell. We are trying to make the best of it and it has been more laughter than grumpiness, I swear!  We still haven't heard a word about our field housing and our room runs out Tuesday. We have 23 more days of this season left, but we also have 60% chance of rain next weekend. Hopefully it'll hold off a little so we can get it all done. I really don't want to get stuck again. 


Super foggy sunrise




This is the sky all in one day. It changed so fast. 


It doesn't look like much other than a solitary dead tree, but a family of kestrels live here!!

As we were headed "home". 


Smoke from a prescribed burn. 

One of my favorite stands. Too bad it's not one we work in. 

The two different leaf types found on eucalyptus. This just happens to be the same tree. 

The last pitfall is placed!!!

Foggy mimosa microphylla. Looks like something from Dr. Suess's The Lorax. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment