Monday, May 12, 2014

Field season week 2 recap

Week 2 started out with itchy poison ivy and runny noses, worked it's way to defeat by two stands that are hella thick, picked up by us catching up on Thursday and ended with us getting bumped from field housing. 

If I weren't so stubborn and hard headed I would have bawled my eyes out and threw in the towel. But, I didn't. We came back to Nac Thursday afternoon since a good rain system was headed towards Merryville and we would most likely be rained out the next morning. Not to mention Brittany really needed to get a shot in her ass. Her rashes had spread a little and she was just miserable. Also, since we were moved out of field housing we needed to find an alternative. 

The first two days we worked we drove back and forth. Merryville is 2 hrs away and to get there in time to do bird surveys we had to leave no later than 4 am. We did this trip Sunday and Monday of this week too. 5 hrs of just commuting in top of physical exertion is just cray. 

Luckily we were able to find a decently priced motel in Newton, TX which is only 15 min away from Merryville. Because of another large rain system we will go this afternoon and settle in and see what the damage is to our dirt roads. I'm hoping they are not that bad because tomorrow's high is 70 and we desperately need to catch up on bird surveys. I wanted to do three stands yesterday, but I was just so tired that I could barely lift my legs anymore. 

I know this recap is not as exciting as the last one and I apologize. This rain has made me terribly drowsy and I'm just so exhausted after one thing after another going crazy wrong. 

Enjoy what few pictures I have from this week and I'll try to make next weeks recap worth the read. 

Beautiful sunset just as we got out of the stand. 

Cinnamon loves my stinky nasty socks. 

No shade. 

Field work + lead navigating + shot gun traveling is hard work. 

Work ethic is sweating your ass off in this and hoping to all the gods it doesn't rain. 

Lightening from last nights storm. 










No comments:

Post a Comment