Sunday, October 12, 2014

Things I didn't learn

Last week I had a button fall off on one I my favorite pairs of jeans. The original button had been replaced by my mother-in-law about a year ago because 1) I didnt have a sewing kit and 2) I had no idea how to do it myself. 

I couldn't just throw these pants away. They are a little too long, but comfy and slimming. Two things every girl looks for in a pair of pants. I also had a few pairs that have torn from my thunder thighs wearing that area thin. 

So I stopped at Hobby Lobby Friday during my usual errand run and picked up some pins and a small sewing kit. I've patched pants before, but had to YouTube a video on how to sew a button. 

I was so excited when I did it on the first try!! Then I got to thinking. Why didn't I learn this when I was growing up? I remember my mother replacing buttons for me and my brother growing up. I even used her sewing kit she left behind when we were living in my childhood home. Then I remembered, she didn't like me using her sewing kit before because I would mess it up and make a mess. 

I know I was a very independent child. If I didn't know how to do something I wanted you to show me and then let me do it myself. I'm still the same way. It's how I learn. 

I also know we were taught some sewing techniques in high school in some antiquated home making class. That has been, oh god, ages ago. 

Maybe it was because I didn't show interest in it or maybe because my parents thought I would burn down/blow up/destroy the house. Or maybe there are some things you just learn as a necessity? I'm not sure. What I am sure of is I will learn and then teach my own children (if/when I should have them). 

2 comments:

  1. I am a terrible sewer! I really say, I do not know how b/c it's that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine doesn't look wonderful but it works ;)

    ReplyDelete